JFAC Recommendations for Amherst Schools
After evaluating the options in detail, the following represent the recommendations of the Joint Facilities Advisory Committee.
Build New Elementary School
A new building to be constructed on the Wilkins lot behind the current Wilkins school. The new facility will house Pre-K through 5th Grade.
- Creates State of the Art Ideal Space
- Cost Prohibitive
- Doesn’t take advantage of existing facility
Renovate / Refurbish AMS
Improve current AMS with significant renovations and repairs resulting in a completely new interior using the existing building structure.
- Addresses all items in the
“Kick the Can” Scenario
- Renovates the Triangle Classrooms to usable adequately sized classrooms
- Creates Great Education Space
- Creates “Like New” facility
- Creates Missing Special Educ. Areas
- Creates Missing Collaboration Areas
- Creates Secure Entrance
- Relocates 5th Grade to Elementary School
- Can be Phased with Elementary School project
Partial Renovation SHS
Make the bare minimum critical repairs as needed and revisit the facility needs in the future. SHS is a younger building (1991 & 2002 annex) and
- Science Labs
- Secure Front Entrance
- Locker Rooms